Keep An Eye On Your Roof
The roof on your home is a protective component until it isn’t. Believe it or not, your roof can have unseen damage caused by the daily elements and exposure. Not all damage is visible from the ground by the untrained eye, which is why you should have an established roof repair company, i.e., a roofing contractor, inspect your roof on a regular basis. If you need roof repair, give our team a call at 617-481-1725 today! We can take care of your roof fast.
What are the signs of a damaged roof?
There isn’t a homeowner that looks forward to needing roof repair, and they sure don’t want a leaking roof and the damage that can come along with it. While the average homeowner can’t see all the damages on their roof, which is why you need a professional roof repair company to inspect it, there are some signs you recognize:
1. Dented Gutters and Downspouts
These are the first indications that you may need the services of a professional roof repair company. Other indications that you may have roof damage include:
- Dents on the garage door
- Holes in the window screens
- Dings on painted surfaces
- Dings and splatter marks on your AC unit, electric meter, or outdoor furniture and grill
- Dented mailbox
If there has been a significant weather event and you don’t see any of the things we’ve listed here, that doesn’t mean there isn’t any roof damage. Having a roof inspection by a professional roof repair company is the best way to know if your roof is okay.
2. Loose Granules
Roofing granules embedded in the gutters or in the flowerbed is a strong indication that you need a professional roof repair company to inspect your roof. The granule of an asphalt shingled roof makes your roof fire-resistant, UV-resistant, and provides your home the color and style. If those granules are knocked off, you’ve lost some of that protection and aesthetics.
3. Bent, Missing, Lifted, Loose
Common signs of roofing damage are bent, missing, lifted, or loosened shingles. While this can take away from the aesthetics, it can indicate there is damage under those shingles and warrants a professional inspection by a roof repair company.
4. Dented Flashing, Vents, and Shingles
Any dents on the metal flashing, vents, or shingles can be an indication of damage to the roof. Schedule a professional inspection by a roof repair company that is local and established.
What causes wear and tear to a roof?
There are 4 primary causes of wear and tear to a roof:
- High Winds. Your roof has exposure to the elements 24/7/365, including high winds. As roofing materials age, it typically starts at the edges, working up. When you have new roofing installed, make sure to get roofing materials that have adhesive-reinforced starter strips.
- Rainwater. Heavy rainfall erodes the surface of roofing materials, wearing them thin and eventually exposing the backing and underside of the roofing materials. When the hard, heavy rains and high winds come along, it makes the roofing material less protection for your home.
- Sunlight. When it isn’t raining, the sun is out, and that exposure bakes the roofing material, the biggest cause of wear and tear.
- Trees. While trees add to the beauty of your home, the branches can cause your roof to wear out faster by poking into the roof or scraping away the protective granules.
These things cause many different issues to your roof and can cut its lifespan short. If you notice any signs of damage, be sure to get in touch with professionals to take carer of the issues as soon as possible.
How do I know I need roof repair?
There are three things that can tell you that you need the services of a roof repair company:
- Interior leaking from the ceiling.
- Several damaged or missing shingles in one area.
- Mildewed, moldy, moss-covered roofing.
Do I need a roof repair or a roof replacement?
When your roof has a confined area of damage, a professional roof repair company will suggest doing repairs, which is adequate. Oftentimes, if you have damage that is isolated to one area, a repair will be more than enough. But if 25% or more of the roof has damage, any roofing experts will recommend roof replacement. So if you experience something like a hailstorm, which affects the entirety of your roof, its likely you will need a replacement instead of just repairs.
How do I know I have a leaking roof?
A hole in the ceiling with water coming in is the first clue. Other indications of a leaking roof are:
- Water spots and/or stains on the ceiling or walls.
- Water spots, mildew on the roof joists, and insulation in the attic.
What are the most common types of roof repair?
Common areas that a professional roof repair company finds are damaged, missing shingles, damaged, missing metal flashing, damaged and missing rubber booting around the vents, and damaged chimney caps.
How much will a roof repair cost?
The cost can vary depending on the amount and type of roof damage. Every roof repair company will have different rates. The time of the day and day of the week can affect the cost of roof repairs too. Reach out to a roof repair company for an estimate to get a good ballpark range for your unique situation.
What happens if you delay your roof repair?
You are leaving your home subjective to further, and possibly severe damage. Left unaddressed, leading to wood rot with mildew and mold forming and spreading.
Regardless of your roof damage and the repair that is needed, you want to choose the best roof repair company and contractor to do the job. So, how do I choose the right contractor to repair my roof?
- Ask family, friends, and neighbors for references
- Interview 3 to 4 different contractors
- Ask for recent references for jobs similar to yours, then call those references
- Ask for a copy of their certification and insurance